Innovate UK - Accelerating Innovation in Rail 5
Innovate UK is managing a collaborative research and development competition on behalf of the Department for Transport to accelerate innovation in the UK rail sector, to enable technologies to be readily and rapidly integrated into the railway system.
The Fifth Accelerating Innovation in Rail competition will open on 18th September and businesses will be able to apply for a share of £7.9million of funding to develop technology prototypes in the broad areas of:-
- “Intelligent Trains” Advances in computational power, communications, automation and sensing give the railway the potential to develop and deploy intelligent rolling stock. Such trains can reduce the railway’s reliance on complex and expensive infrastructure and control systems, making the network more cost effective and improving capacity, punctuality and reliability.
- “Minimal disruption to Train Services”. Railway rolling stock and infrastructure need to meet the future needs of passenger and freight customers. The railway must therefore make these more reliable, more readily available and easier to maintain.
Key dates for this competition call are:
- Competition opens midday, 18th September 2017
- Register by midday, 8th November 2017
- Competition closes for applications midday, 15th November 2017
This competition call will offer an opportunity for businesses of all sizes (micro, small, medium and large) as well as academics, researchers and public sector. The competition will appeal particularly to businesses not currently supplying the rail industry, but which have technologies and innovations that meet the scope of “Intelligent Trains” and “Minimal disruption to Train Services”.
Briefing and consortia building events are planned for:-
- London 18/09/17
- Cardiff 21/09/17
- Derby 26/09/17
- Glasgow 28/09/17
- Manchester 03/10/17
Full details of the competition scope is available at:
Booking for this event is now closed.
This information may be shared with Innovate UK, KTN or within the Civil Service
For general terms and conditions of using Welsh Government online services, see here.
For the way Welsh Government handles your information, see here. If you book a place on a Business Wales or Welsh Government event, we may use the information you provide to offer you personalised or local services, to notify you of changes to our service, to ask your opinions and to help us to improve our services.
This directory contains information about events offered by Business Wales, Welsh Government, and other providers in the public and private sectors. We are not responsible for information about events offered by other providers and we cannot take responsibility for the consequences of your using that information.
This directory does not endorse or favour any specific commercial product or business. Non-government sites linked to from this website are present only because they may be useful additions to the information we provide. A link to a third-party service does not imply endorsement; you must use your own judgement to decide whether the information or service on that website is suitable for your needs. If a website is not linked to ours, this does not mean or imply that it is unsatisfactory.
Websites that we link to are likely to have Terms and Conditions that are different from ours. Do not assume that our Terms and Conditions apply to other websites.