How cookies are used on this site
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example your computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as "cookies". We do not use these to identify you personally, or to hold any personal data.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don't have to give the same information several times during one task
- recognising that you may already have provided a username and password so that you don't need to keep repeating these for every web page requested
- measuring how many people are using services so they can be improved and there is enough capacity to ensure they are fast
You can easily manage these small files yourself if you know how. You can find guidance on managing cookies on the All About Cookies website - Opens in a new window.
Cookies used by this service
There are two types of cookie:
Persistent cookies remain on your computer for a specified time and so are saved to your computer's hard disk. We use persistent cookies to:
- identify that a registered user has returned
- securely remember your login User ID - if you have asked us to do so
- understand how you use our site and obtain information on website usage - as described above
Session cookies are deleted when you close your browser and are usually not saved to your computer's hard disk. We use session cookies to:
- hold some types of non-private information you provide while using an interactive tool on the website
- identify that you have logged in to the site
- hold your search criteria while you are carrying out a search of the website
- collect information on website usage - as described above
Important information about this list of cookies
This list is not exhaustive. It will be updated as further information is gathered from companies and government departments that provide parts of this service
Cookies for maintaining your session
The following cookies are necessary so that we can provide you a joined-up session, know that you have logged-in (if applicable) and so that you do not have to re-enter information for every web page you request from our service.
Purpose: To link your requests to information you may have previously provided
Typical content: qlt00j45tikm0kqnxh3hto55
Expires: At end of session (when you close your browser)
Cookies for measuring use of services
By understanding how people use our services we can improve the information and service provided. This ensures that the service is available when you want it and is fast. We use a number of different methods of gathering this data.
The following cookies assist us in understanding how people use this service.
Purpose: Google Analytics - Identifying Unique Visitors
Typical content: 156927724.1225493287.1328722033.1328722033.1329311517.2
Expires: 2 years from set/update.
Purpose: Google Analytics - Determining Visitor Session
Typical content: 156927722.214.171.1249311517
Expires: 30 minutes from set/update.
Purpose: Google Analytics - Tracking Traffic Sources & Navigation
Typical content: 156927724.1328722033.1.1.utmcsr=t.co|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/XWQW3R83
Expires: 6 months from set/update.